Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The artist talk you didn't go to - Catherine Mulligan and Jenny Kanzler


It's not surprising that at noon on a Wednesday the auditorium at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts isn't full. It is a shame that more of the students don't take advantage of the Art at Lunch talks.  Well, I suppose the real shame is that I didn't take advantage of the Art at Lunch Talks nearly enough as a student.  The students will look back and wonder what on earth was so important that they didn't catch an emerging Mulligan and partially emerged Kanzler.  Lucky for them the show in the Alumni gallery is up until January 25th.

This is what you missed:
First, Jenny, whose work I've followed for several years. I've had a bit of a crush on her for some time...I even fainted on her once at an opening.  I'm still trying to figure out if the crush is because she's a lovely person or a wonderful artist.  Instead of being a crazy stalker person I've tried to promote her art as often as possible.  No, it's not because she is a wonderful person, but because she is an excellent painter. She explores her life in a very raw, truthful and open way. Her talk was from the heart.  You missed the stories behind the paintings, but lucky for you, you don't need the stories to enjoy her art. I believe she only let us peek a tiny bit into her life today, and that tiny bit was very powerful.  She is an old soul.  She has the sense that she's been here before, but is grateful for the opportunity. (I'm sorry I don't have an image of one of Jenny's paintings. Jenny- email me a jpg)












                      i very much want this painting --->




Second was Catherine.  I'm going to brag now.  I bought one of Catherine's paintings for $75 a few years back.  I had sold a painting and went to collect the check at the wonderful Beth Medoway's house.  Catherine had just dropped off two squares for the Square Art Deal that Beth used to run. I had to have one.  My only regret is not buying both.
The painting I got for a steal.  8x8" Still Life with Pea Soup

She almost sold out her show at FAN Gallery this past month.  Her prices are still reasonable, for the moment, but that won't last.  I've never had more then a few passing words with her, if ever... I vaguely remember telling her I bought one of her works.  I even tried to get her for Rodger's Gallery but she was all ready committed to showing at FAN.  Bragging aside, her talk was as charming as you'd want from a youth (Catherine, if you read this, it's ok for you to hate me for saying that).  I won't ever forget those dark eyes and lovely blond hair that she tried to tame into a pony tail... (ugh, new art crush). She clearly explained where she was from and where she was going (in the art since).  I think that when she lives a little more, searches a little harder, she will sprout wings and fly.  Her paint is the kind you want to eat.  Her ideas straightforward.

If you are an artist, this show will make you want to make art.  If you just love to look at art you'll be high for a week.  And if you are a collector... NOW IS THE TIME! Seriously. One of Jenny's works was $450.  I don't think a work in the show was above $2000.... and I want to buy them ALL.

Here is the facebook invite.  Reception TOMORROW
 https://www.facebook.com/events/1471270096484535/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

No comments:

Post a Comment